Overwolf may not launch properly or even crash when Windows is outdated. We highly recommend making sure that all Windows system updates are installed, as they are necessary for the proper operation of different components (.NET Framework, for instance). To check if there are updates available for your system, please click here.
If you have any system updates pending, please install them, restart your system and then try to launch Overwolf again.
- Stuck on "Preparing for first launch..."
In certain cases, Overwolf's first launch (after installation) comes across an issue and cannot continue.
We have found this can happen due to an antivirus software called 'SAntivirus' (or Segurazu Antivirus) and that disabling it can solve the issue. For more information, please click here.
- Even though Overwolf is 100% safe to use and is very popular among gamers all over the world, some antivirus programs have blacklisted it in the past, and using them might prevent Overwolf from launching properly on your PC.
If upon launching Overwolf, nothing happens (the Appstore won't open, you can't see the dock, etc.), please follow the next steps:
- Click on the Windows key + R
- Type: "regedit" and click "Yes"
- In the file explorer to your left, start opening folders by this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows NT -> CurrentVersion -> Image File Execution Options
- On the file explorer to your left, look for folders named 'overwolf.exe' and 'overwolflauncher.exe'
- If they exist, right-click them and choose "Delete"
- Try running Overwolf
Overwolf is based on .NET Framework 4.8 and later .NET versions.
It's possible that .NET 4.8 wasn't installed properly on your PC, in which case Overwolf won't be able to run due to some corrupted files.
This scenario might occur due to a Windows update gone wrong, like when updating from Windows 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10, or even due to outdated drivers.
We found that the best solution as for now is reinstalling your current .NET Framework 4.8 version. This is how you can do it:
- Press the Windows key + R
- Type in: appwiz.cpl
- Click on "Turn Windows features on or off"
- Look for the ".NET Framework 4.8" and uncheck the box next to it
- Click "OK" and wait
- Once it is done close it and restart your computer
- Follow steps 1-4 in order to re-check the ".NET Framework 4.8" option
- Restart your computer
- Try running Overwolf
Certain corruptions in .NET Framework's machine.config files may prevent Overwolf from running.
To fix these corruptions, please follow these steps:
- Open the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\Config\
- Locate the file called 'machine.config'
- Delete the file
- Locate the file 'machine.config.default'
- Create a copy of it (just as back up)
- Rename the original 'machine.config.default' file to 'machine.config'
- Repeat steps 2-4 for the folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\Config\
- Re-launch Overwolf
If the above-mentioned solutions did not help you overcome the issue, please try to run the setup installer. It comes in a zipped file, so you will first need to extract it by using any program like WinZip, WinRAR or 7-Zip.